Please read the “Universal Declaration of Human Rights” provided in the link here on the United Nations website: http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a milestone document in the history of human rights. Drafted by representatives with different legal and cultural backgrounds from all regions of the world, the Declaration was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in Paris on 10 December 1948 as a common standard of achievements for all peoples and all nations. It sets out, for the first time, fundamental human rights to be universally protected.
Part I: Please share with the class the most important human right to you. Why is it so important? Have you ever lived in a country that violated one of your human rights? Have your family members or friends?
Part II: As you begin reading The Bosnia List, please reflect on the human rights of The Trebincevic family. Referencing the 30 rights listed in the UDHR, please describe at least two specific human rights the Trebincevic family loses in the Balkan War. How and why were these rights taken from them?
Please quote from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights at least once and The Bosnia List at least once with proper in-text citations and proper Works Cited entries beneath your post.
- Don’t forget to integrate your quotes smoothly into your sentences (see handout in Canvas)
- For the UDHR on your Works Cited entry: use the “works from a website” formula and cite the document as a work from the United Nations website
- For the memoir on your Works Cited entry: use the “book with one author” formula
- Don’t forget to include proper in-text citations after each quote (see handbook on in-text citations)
- For each discussion post, please read and respond to at least two of your classmates in letter format (Dear Sam and Sincerely, Maria). Write him/her a reflective response, expand on one of their ideas, ask a question, add a new point, etc. This will create a true virtual “discussion.”
- Your original post must be at least 300 words.