Mental Health Issues and Criminal Acts
For this assessment, you analyze case studies that feature issues related to mental health and crime. Then, in 1,500–2,000 words, respond to the following:
- Explain how to distinguish between mental illness and criminality, using examples from the case studies to illustrate the difference.
- Explain how the criminal justice system has typically or “traditionally” addressed an offender who has committed a crime due to a mental health issue, using examples from the case studies to illustrate the difference.
- Explain how the contemporary criminal justice system addresses an offender who commits a crime due to a mental health issue, using examples from the case studies to illustrate your response. For example, address the following issues:
- How should the responding officer proceed?
- How should this person be processed through the criminal justice system?
- What are the appropriate charges, if any?
- How should the judge at the arraignment hearing proceed?
- Explain whether you agree or disagree with the following statement: The criminal justice system has an ethical obligation to rehabilitate or treat offenders suffering from mental illness.
- What is the role of the criminal justice system regarding these types of incidents?
In addition to using the case studies to help illustrate your responses, reference your learning resources to support your responses.