On pages 131-132 of Perceiving the Arts, the author invites us to compare two musical pieces: Claire de Lune from Suite Bergamasque by Claude Debussy and Auguries of Spring: Dances of the Youths and Maidens from the Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky. Access these pieces through the following links:
- •Debussy—Clair de Lune (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. [Video file][5 min 42 sec] YouTube website. Retrieved from
- Pierre Boulez conducts Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (Part 1, b) (Watch the first 5 minutes.). [Video file][12 min 13 sec] YouTube website. Retrieved from
Carefully listen to each piece of music. You should reread the section under the heading Our Primal Responses on page 131. In at least three significant paragraphs, address the following:
- Compare and contrast these two pieces in terms of rhythm, melody, development, dynamics, and theme.
- Describe the effect of each piece on you as a listener.
- State what you think might be an appropriate use for each piece of music.
Write a 300 words word post that addresses the bulleted list above.