1. select this group:
- African Americans
- Clearly identify the group you selected
- Construct a clear, precise research question around the topic of education and improved socioeconomic status
- Provide an outline that includes a clear idea of where you will be going in your essay and:
- Historic data
- Today’s data
- Change over time
- Be sure you examine the multiple aspects of education, the various levels, etc. You may also want to include military service as an alternative to just school.
- Compare the group’s progress to others; how do they compare, and what is going on behind the scenes to impact these statistics?
- YOUR analysis and examination of possible solutions you have found, as well as your own ideas, and conclusion.
please follow these guidelines:
- Start with the U.S. Census data and review Educational Attainment in the United States: 2015 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and go as far back as you can to research your group. You will want to track change over time in: number of people identified as part of this group, income range, and education reported. Compare and contrast to “majority whites” (some groups have been followed for years or decades, but others have not, so you will need to do some digging). Visit Educational Attainment in the United States: 2015 – Detailed Tables (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. to view other groups.
- Address these questions:
- How has education helped your group to improve over time, or has it? (research beyond the Census stats needed here)
- Are the promises made about education actually being fulfilled? Why or why not? (real sociology-type question)
- What other factors may be at play here?
- Discuss the facts you have located and the interplay of these to build to a logical and informed conclusion. Have you found any solutions in your research for the issue? If so, include them in your discussion/conclusion, along with your own ideas about how education can and cannot help people improve their socioeconomic status.
Additional Requirements and Resources:
- A minimum of four resources from academic publications found in the Excelsior Library
- 750 – 1250 words of writing. This does not include the title page or reference page. Please organize your paper based upon the approved outline and your faculty feedback.
- Grammatically correct sentences. If you need assistance, free tutoring is available through Smarthinking. You can link to it under “Free Tutoring” in your Table of Contents. To receive assistance on how to write essays, you can refer to the Excelsior OWL (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Use APA citation guidelines. If you need assistance, please refer to either of the following online writing labs:
- Purdue OWL (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Excelsior OWL (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.